Saturday, February 11, 2006

Solo



A few weeks ago I flew my first solo in the T-38. After a thorough pre-flight I secured the rear cockpit and strapped myself in the front. I lit the fire and introduced fuel into the engine and smiled slightly as they roared into life. My seat was shaking slightly as the jet begged to get airborne. After the proper clearance I taxied out of the ramp and towards the runway as I performed all the last chance flight control checks. I was soon given the go-ahead for takeoff. I put the jet into its takeoff configuration and maneuvered carefully into position at the beginning of runway 15. I set the brakes and advanced the throttles to the military thrust position. I felt the brakes strain against the sudden increase in thrust as I carefully observed the instruments to make sure they were within their proper ranges. In one shift motion I threw the throttles into the afterburner position and released the brakes knowing that there was no way they could contain over 8000 lbs of thrust that the jet produces in full AB. There was a rush as I was thrown back into the seat and the jet sprinted into life glad to be free of those annoying brakes. In the space of 2000 feet and only a matter of a few seconds I was rocketed to a speed of 200 mph. I then gently pulled the stick back and lifted the nose to 7 degree attitude as the main wheels left the earth and the jet was thankful to be headed for where she belonged. After an hour and almost 4000 lbs of jet fuel later my wheels were once again gently touching down as the jet and I sighed in disappointment to be done. What a ride.

The tradition is, after the flight, your classmates drag you through the mud and throw you in the dunk tank. It was freezing cold that day but it was fun. A few other guys from my class flew solos as well so we all got the toss the same day. I love flying this jet.

1 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger skinnyphish said...

Sounds a lot like Sex. And this is what you do for a living?? You lucky sucker.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home